[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sat May 16 21:11:06 UTC 2009

2009/5/16 general_email at technicalbloke.com
> Well it's not the 80s anymore and I'd far rather use a gui if one were
> available. I mean, it's perfectly possible to manage all the files on
> your system from the command line but, call me a heretic, I'd rather use
> Nautilus or Thunar if it's at all practical.

Roger,
It is not only perfectly possible to manage all the files on your
system using the command line, it is indispensable.

For example, find all the directories in a filesystem containing the
characters "42a".
This is a multi-terabyte filesystem, containing thousands of files.
I had to do this at work this morning.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk