[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun May 10 19:37:04 UTC 2009

Bruce Richardson writes:

>Most Linuxes do not install anything that provides /bin/vi by default,
>so at this point ed and sed are what you are stuck with.

and:

>I specified '/bin/vi'.  If you look at the standard packages that
>provide vi or vim (or even nano), they all place the binary in /usr/bin
>and so are no use in a rescue situation where /usr may not be available.

Tsk, tsk. The whole Linux world is not (yet, thankfully) derived from
Debian. On a default Fedora install:

	leto:~% rpm -ql vim-minimal | grep 'vi$'
	/bin/rvi
	/bin/vi

While I have my concerns that Fedora is heading towards Ubuntu levels
of madness, they do at least still get a lot of things right.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk