[Gllug] How much system memory do I have?

ryan-ir at hai.fi ryan-ir at hai.fi
Thu May 7 05:45:24 UTC 2009

Good Day all.

Last Monday I thought that I would go down to Tottenham Court Road and
buy myself a laptop. I got something but yesterday I started to wonder
about how much RAM this computer actually has - it says 4GBs on the box.

Under Ubuntu 9.04:

System -> Administration -> System Monitor
This program reports that I have 3.0 GiB

$ free
This reports that I have 3095948 kB of RAM

Under SLAX v6.0.9:

I started SLAX Linux with KDE. I opened up kinfocenter and it reported
that I had 3184361472 B = 2.97 GB of RAM (total physical memory).

# free
This reports 3109728 kB of RAM

Under Windows Vista:

Control Panel -> System
This reports that I have 4.00 GB of memory (RAM)

I ran a program called Belarc Advisor. It reports that I have the following:
3070 Megabytes Installed Memory but also that
Slot m1 has 2048 mb
Slot m2 has 2048 mb

Bios:

This reports that I have

System Memory:          640 kB
Extended Memory:        4095 mB
Video Memory:           256 mB

So different programs give different reports - that I can live with, though,
out of interest, it would be nice to know which one are closer to the 'truth'
or why they report different values.

More importantly, I was wondering if I have been sold something claiming to
be what it is not. That is was I sold something claiming to have 4 gigs of
memory but infact only having something closer to 3.

t. ir
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk