[Gllug] Stripped down CentOS 5.3

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon May 25 19:23:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 08:14:55PM +0530, Hakuna Matata wrote:
> I want to uninstall/Strip down the CentOS with all packages except the
> below. could someone please advise or point me to the right approach.

Taken literally, you want to install everything, then remove the
listed packages?  You would do something like:

  yum install '*'
  rpm -qa | less
  yum remove [list of packages you don't want]

However that's a bit of a strange thing to want to do, because the
whole of CentOS / RHEL is very large, and you're not saving very much
even by removing the bloatsome JDK.

If you're looking to actually minimize a CentOS install, eg. to fit it
on some very small device, or to copy it onto some sort of small
appliance, then I have written some tools for that purpose:

http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/03/27/rpm-dependency-size-viewer-now-available/
http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/febootstrap-minimal-now-159-mb/

Depending on what you want to do, minimal RHEL appliances providing
glibc, coreutils and some useful command-line tools start around 20-30 MB.

Of course Linux can be minimized a lot further if you use specific
minimal distributions (http://www.t2-project.org/ and many others,
busybox, ulibc, ...), but you tend to lose the benefits of being able
to use common tools, libraries and refer to existing bug reports.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat