[Gllug] Which architecture?

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Mon May 4 08:51:51 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 01:32:58PM +0100, James Holland wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 11:18 +0100, Lesley Binks wrote:
> > On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 01:34:25PM +0100, James Holland wrote:
> > > So you can run AMD64 on Intel then??
> > >

> > In short, it would appear so :)
>
> Has it worked then?
So far so good.  I have no control over audio sound at the moment and it isn't playing the BBC videos in iceweasel.  A tad annoying but I am not intending to use this platform for visual entertainment.  Just that it would be nice not to have to install another operating system for certain tasks.

But it boots up fine, recognised the evil empire installation and demoted it to 2nd place in the boot hierarchy etc.
Graphics are okay ... It recognised the Quadro FM350 card okay.  I had a situation where it would come back up from sleep into a reverse video mode.  I checked for anyproblems in the X log but nothing apparent.  It does sleep okay and I reconfigured the screen saver - changed the priority to Normal - it hasn't done it since and I haven't tried repeating it.

Wireless was a new venture for me ias none of my other boxen had that. I had to download the non-free driver for the Intel 3945 - then work out how it all works under KDE.  Fairly painless.

It is of course fast and much faster than Windoze.

Much more fun to be had I'm sure.

Regards

Lesley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk