[Gllug] OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Fri May 1 08:15:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 8:33 AM, tid <td at bloogaloo.co.uk> wrote:
> 2009/4/30 James Laver <james.laver at gmail.com>:
>
>> They still exist. They're the ones that cost under 30 quid.
>
> Hear hear.
>
> I've just replaced my nokia 6310i handset for another one
> costing £26. I've looked long and hard at iphonies and
> crackberries, but am now firmly back in the 'do one thing
> and do it well' camp. The phone runs for a week or so on
> one charge. It lost two bar's worth of power whilst I was
> at 2400 meters up an alp, whereas my colleagues' more
> modern phones all died after ~2 hours.
>
> Pictures? I've got a decent camera. Music? I've got a MP3
> player somewhere. Email? I've got a laptop.
>
> And I can strip it down to it's basic parts when I drop it in
> the bath, as I frequently do.
>
> Tid.
> --

If you need to travel light, modern mobile phones are god's send.

My mobile takes 5 Mpixel pictures, in good lighting conditions that is
plenty (and in bad ones your camera will not work neither anyway),
plays music, acts as a voice recorder, FM radio and, yes, I can browse
the net and send emails if necessary. And it has a calculator, a
document viewer, currency converter.....

So instead of several devices (and their chargers or batteries, which
are often incompatible with each other) I only need the phone and its
charger.

Of course if you need your phone to work one week on a single charge
clearly your requirements are different from the rest of the general
populace, I wonder what is the percentage of people that need a phone
that works a whole week with one charge only. I personally don't feel
aggravated if I have to plug the thing 2 or 3 times a week.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk