[Gllug] GP2X Wiz

Andrew Davies amd_uk at lineone.net
Sun May 17 22:24:14 UTC 2009

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:40:01PM +0100, Alex Smith wrote:
>
>> Richard Jones wrote:
>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X_Wiz
>>>
>>> Just been released a few days ago, and allegedly it costs around
>>> 120GBP, although that doesn't include VAT, shipping or any import
>>> taxes they might hit you with.
>>>
>>> This one looks more 'serious' than the previous ones, and includes 3D
>>> hardware, which starts to make it more interesting.  The price is
>>> right too.
>>>

>> http://openpandora.org/
>>
>> Looks more interesting, has better connectivity, etc. Probably a
>> bajillon pounds more though
>>

> Doesn't look like these exist to buy yet :-(
>
> The GP2X is interesting because it's the third(?) in the series of
> these machines, and so the Korean guys making them have some
> experience.  Apparently they shipped 60,000 of the previous model, the
> GP2X.
>
> Anyway, I do have a bit of a passion for wasting money on these
> machines, so maybe I'll get both :-)
>
> Rich.

There's an unofficial blog charting the development of the Pandora here:-
http://openpandora.wordpress.com/

Last I heard, the expectation was that these would be around £200-£250.
There have been some issues as they were delayed and people were
refunded less money than they had originally spent because of the Pound
dropping.

They use internals similar to the Beagleboard that, I believe, someone
here picked up a few months back.