[Gllug] OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Tue May 5 08:08:38 UTC 2009

On 5 May 2009, at 00:18, Nix wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2009, Joel Bernstein said:
>>                       AND you can't replace the battery without
>> voiding warranty or sending off to Apple.
>
> Isn't this true of essentially everything with a li-ion battery?  Fit
> the wrong battery and you might get an explosion, after all, and the
> battery has circuitry in it and is not a simple thing anymore (and
> it's
> a condition of the people who make io-ion batteries *and* it's a
> conveniently anticompetitive source of continuing revenue for the
> makers
> of products using li-ions, so they're hardly likely to complain).

No. I think you may be conflating "buy random 3rd party batteries"
with "be able to change battery at all without manufacturer opening
sealed case". Mobile phones, like laptops, need replaceable batteries
for long times away from power (long flights, ...) and only the latest/
sleekest Apples seem to not offer that facility. Which boggles my mind
and puts me right off buying an iPhone or MacBook Air.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk