[Gllug] OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Wed May 6 15:59:36 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Don't any hardware developers actually test these devices for basic
> features, like "Can it make a simple voice call and can one hear it?"
> "Does its RF capabilities at least equal or better the previous model?"

I don't think they actually realise peoplr might want to use the 'basic'
functions [1] - I recently had great problems explaining, in several mobile
phone shops, that what I wanted in a phone was to make calls and exchange sms
and *nothing else, thanks*. Such a concept seems alien to them. It has to be
said, I'm no luddite, but highly resistant to the "roll everything into one
device" philosophy - that just leads to having a single point of failure
taking out everything in one go. Phones are for calls, PDAs are for diary
stuff, MP3 players for music, and for that matter TVs are for TV and
computers are for computering...

Dx

[1] i.e. the ones the device was originally intended for.

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk