[Gllug] Desktops with preinstalled linux

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Nov 26 17:40:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 05:22:40PM +0000, Justin Perreault wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 12:41 +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:36:38PM +0000, John Edwards wrote:
> > > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:06:41PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > > Copyright:
> > >   Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Hewlett-Packard Company
> > >   Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
> >
> > The actual drivers are closed binary blobs -- this, in part, so that they
> > can continue to place yellow dots for printer tracking:
> >
> > 	http://www.seeingyellow.com/
>
> Another reason to like Samsung printers. They seem to not print these
> dot's.

That might just mean they've got a much better, more secret way of
watermarking printouts that hasn't been discovered yet :-P

  <quote>
  A "no" simply means that we couldn't see yellow dots; it does not prove
  that there is no forensic watermarking present. (For example, the HP
  Color LaserJET 8500 series does not include any yellow tracking dots
  that we can see, but it may still include some kind of forensic marking,
  since the majority of other Color LaserJET models do. Other forensic
  marking techniques have been invented, and we do not yet know how to
  determine whether these techniques are used by a particular printer.)
  </quote>

http://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers-which-do-or-do-not-display-tracking-dots

Daniel
--