[Gllug] Desktops with preinstalled linux

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu Nov 26 22:41:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 12:41 +0000, Alain Williams wrote:

> The actual drivers are closed binary blobs -- this, in part, so that they
> can continue to place yellow dots for printer tracking:

The tracking dots are part of the printer internal firmware, and show up
no matter what software you use to drive the printer.  I demonstrated
this on a couple of printers to which I issued a page feed command (by
sending the correct ASCII from a hand held dumb data terminal!  Even
"blank" pages carry the dots, which appear to convey the serial number
of the printer (albeit in an encrypted form).

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk