[Gllug] To encrypt or not to encrypt . . . at install time?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Nov 30 21:46:50 UTC 2009

2009/11/30 Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk>:
> On Monday 30 November 2009, Justin Perreault wrote:
>> So that has raised the question do I encrypt the system at install time
>> or pursue encryption after the install?
>
> It's much easier to do it at install time, but remember that you'll need to
> enter the key for each encrypted partition each time the machine boots - I
> have the /home partition on my laptop encrypted, but not the system itself (I
> used to, but entering two keys was a PITA and then there were troubles when
> it came time to use a boot disk for maintenance ...)

Depends how you do the encryption. The default on the Ubuntu live cd
uses ecryptfs, so you get a bunch of encrypted files in your /home,
not an encrypted /home partition, if that makes sense.

My laptop just asks for my password on logon, and that's used to
'unlock' the files I have encrypted in my /home.

Cheers,
Al.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk