[Gllug] To encrypt or not to encrypt . . . at install time?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Nov 30 21:44:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 08:49:31PM +0000, Dylan wrote:
> On Monday 30 November 2009, Justin Perreault wrote:
> > So that has raised the question do I encrypt the system at install time
> > or pursue encryption after the install?
>
> It's much easier to do it at install time, but remember that you'll need to
> enter the key for each encrypted partition each time the machine boots - I
> have the /home partition on my laptop encrypted, but not the system itself (I
> used to, but entering two keys was a PITA and then there were troubles when
> it came time to use a boot disk for maintenance ...)

AFAIK Fedora will try the first passphrase you enter for all
partitions, so if you use the same passphrase on each you should be
alright.

However you are right -- this is definitely a concern for servers,
especially ones that must reboot automatically and/or in remote
locations.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones