[Gllug] Firewalls suddenly blocking port 80? But how? And how can I check with no web access which device?

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Mon Nov 16 09:33:20 UTC 2009

"M.Blackmore" <mblackmore at oxlug.org> writes:

> PS why didn't a recursive ls -R show the location of tcpdump any ideas?

Presumabely you did something like 'ls -R tcpdump'. This will list the
file(s)/director(y|ies)[1] given, in this case just 'tcpdump', in the
current directory and, if a directory is encountered, display everything
in it, its children and its children's children, yea until the least
generation hath passed away.

Of course in your case there was no such file/directory.

What you wanted was something along the lines of 'find / -name tcpdump'

Matthew

[1] What is a more sane way to write this?

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk