[Gllug] Take a look at my photos on Facebook

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 4 11:30:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> Christopher Hunter wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, the latest Redmond Rubbish is just as broken as the
>> previous versions - the same vulnerabilities still exist.
>
> Really which ones?
>
>> At work we got two laptops with Win 7 pre-loaded, so I've had a chance
>> to see it.  First boot was surprisingly quick, but the shiny bits are
>> much the same as Vista.  There was no option to choose browser (like
>> there was meant to be).
>
> Yes there is its called the Internet install what you like. As if
> Microsoft is going to have a choice "Please choose Firefox, Opera,
> Chrome or have ours Explorer" If that's the case I want to see Explorer
> available native, none of that wine crossover rubbish, in the repo's.

Your comment lacks the necessary context. The EU organization that
deal with those issues (and here, allow for my ignorance, I am not
even an EU citizen) apparently mandated that you are offered a choice
about which browser to install.

It does not come down to what you, I or anybody else prefers, it was
part of remedial actions against Microsoft anticompetitive practices,
the "download on your own"  is not a logical response to a mandate of
such kind.

More likely what is happening is that the EU body has not finished to
specify the rules about how this will work and Microsoft was able to
ship as usual.

> <snip>

>> At this point, neither machine had been attached to a network.  We
>> installed "F-secure" anti-malware nonsense (our IT department demand it)
>> on both and the machines slowed down radically.  We connected to the
>> 'net via our network, and tried to download updates to the anti-malware
>> effort and to Windows.
>
> So that's F-secure and nothing whatsoever to do with Windows 7

Well, it is.

Microsoft software deficiencies has created all the cottage industry
around "protecting" your computer.

I have used Linux on my desktop for 13 years and have never being
hacked, phished or whatever else, my understanding is that OSX users
are alos fine on this regard, and enterprise OSes (Solaris, HPUX, AIX)
simply don't need all the antivirus-phising nonsense.

If a ragtag group of developers or other conglomerates can get that
bit right, what is stopping Microsoft achieving something similar?

I have seen with my own eyes organizations brought down to their knees
by vulnerabilities in Microsoft software or in how that software works
with other apps (ask Microsoft what goes into the registry in a server
for example),

If Win7 is better in that regard remains to be seen, the cautious
person should be very skeptical.

<more snipage, have to work :-) >
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk