[Gllug] TV ExpressCard/USB - any recommendations/avoids?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 11:07:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:51:33AM +0000, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> I am considering getting a TV card for my laptop, either ExpressCard
> or USB. It must, of course, support DVB-T, hopefully without subtitle
> problems. Support for analogue TV would be nice, but not essential.
> If, in the case of either digital or both, it can support standards
> used elsewhere in Europe, that will also be good. I will need one that
> can take an external aerial. AV connections are not essential.
>
> Of course, I will want one that can do all of this under Linux. I am
> not bothered about recording support - I would not normally
> contemplate leaving the laptop out in order to use it.
>
> Are there any good cards that meet these requirements? Any to avoid?
>
> I am considering this as a replacement for my existing camping TV.

If you want HD, then you will need to wait a few months.

The Freeview HD rollout was announced yesterday, but that are
using DVB-T2 and most (all?) current PC tuners only do DVB-T.

Currently I use the Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick. Small, cheap
and works fine with Ubuntu, though the driver needs a binary
firmware file to use it.