[Gllug] Desktops with preinstalled linux

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Nov 26 13:59:17 UTC 2009

On 24 Nov 2009, John Hearns uttered the following:

> 2009/11/24 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk>:
>>>
>>> Really? I posted a Q here a few months ago soliciting compatible 3D
>>> graphics card advice and don't recall getting many suggestions at all,
>>> let alone a strong preference for ATI.
>
> Depends if you have strong leanings towards free source drivers or not.
> I have had an Nvidia Quadro FX4800 on eval loan, and it works just fine!
> Currently have 3700 and 1700 cards working fine.

I have a strong leaning towards being able to use a recent kernel even
when my box is eight years old. I don't want to choose between video
card functionality and rest-of-system functionality/security merely
because a corporation with an interest in wanting me to spend more money
has dropped support for 'old' cards (and as far as I can see from a
quick google 'old' equals about four years old for nvidia, far less than
my normal machine lifecycle).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk