[Gllug] Desktops with preinstalled linux

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Nov 26 14:03:11 UTC 2009

On 25 Nov 2009, Tethys uttered the following:

> --------
>
> Nix writes:
>
>>Note: this is all assuming kernel modesetting. 3D support is unlikely
>>to ever be implemented for non-KMS.
>
> I understand the logic behind that decision, but I don't have to like
> it. Of course, I'd probably be happier if KMS was actually stable and
> usable. But for me, it isn't.

Is this Intel? Radeon? Something else? From git? From the upstream
kernel? What versions of Mesa, libdrm, and the X server and video
drivers do you have? (Presently, for working Radeon KMS, you need
development versions of all of these except for the X server, for which
1.7 will do, and Mesa, for which 7.6 will do as long as you compile it
with the appropriate driver. But all these things are heading upstream
rapidly and should appear in a stable release soonish.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk