[Gllug] TV ExpressCard/USB - any recommendations/avoids?

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Tue Nov 17 12:53:44 UTC 2009

On Tue 17 Nov, Christopher Mocock wrote:

> t.clarke wrote:
> > I have to say honestly that whilst an HD picture is very good it is not
> > '5 times more detail' than an SD picture as touted by the vendors!!
>
> 1080p HD is approximately 2 million pixels, as opposed to about 400,000
> pixels for SD, so it really is about 5 times the resolution. Granted it
> may not appear 5 times better to the viewer, but there's only so much
> detail that the human eye will consciously notice. As you rightly
> pointed out, the compression will play a part in this.

   I saw something about Crystal Palace transmitters being on low power
during the changeover period, and some DVB receivers see fewer channels at
present. Most receivers have upgradeable software, so a change to a
different flavour of DVB may be possible, although I suspect that some are
struggling with low memory resources. Some of the problems with compression
are patterning on fine detail, and break-up on movement. Compression is
normally done as late in the transmission chain as possible, so it may be
possible to get different problems from different transmitters.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk