[Gllug] EEE issues

Frazer Irving superfraz at clumsyjedi.com
Mon Nov 16 19:26:10 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I may be stretching the geographical limits of this list, but I am currently
living in Morocco with a EEE PC and have run into some issues I hoped I
might find answers to here.

Primarily the box is used for me to play around with dynamic language MVC
frameworks such as Rails and Catalyst etc. The machine has the default
Xandros OS installed which is causing me troubles. I have downloaded a copy
of eeebuntu which I hope will give me a better platform to install various
ruby gems and cpan modules, but the image is an .iso and the only external
media is the flash disk built into the system So my first question, is it
possible to convert the iso to an image that can be written to the flash
disk using dd (I have successfully written the debian EEE OS image this way,
but the tools provided are too meager for my purposes). Otherwise I will
probably buy a USB DVD burner.

Secondly, I am seriously looking at buying a USB modem from one of the
telecom providers here. There will probably be no linux support, and I don't
speak french or Arabic so I will have a hard time debugging any install
issues. My experience from running similar devices via OSX in Australia was
that the OS communicated with the device via PPP. Do folks think that is
what I am likely to encounter - I realise each country will have it's own
quirks but I'm hoping people can reassure me that its a pretty standard
hardware/software profile internationally. (The thing I'm looking at is a
USB stick with a SIM card stuck in it if that helps).

Again, sorry for such general questions. I know I could probably find better
lists for these issues and certainly something colser to 'home' but as
mentioned above I am a bit limited in my net access right now. and I'm
already a subscriber to GLLUG.

Thanks