[Gllug] EEE issues

Harry Rickards harry at linux.com
Mon Nov 16 19:30:32 UTC 2009

2009/11/16 Frazer Irving <superfraz at clumsyjedi.com>:
> Hi all,

Hi

> I may be stretching the geographical limits of this list, but I am currently
> living in Morocco with a EEE PC and have run into some issues I hoped I
> might find answers to here.
>
> Primarily the box is used for me to play around with dynamic language MVC
> frameworks such as Rails and Catalyst etc. The machine has the default
> Xandros OS installed which is causing me troubles. I have downloaded a copy
> of eeebuntu which I hope will give me a better platform to install various
> ruby gems and cpan modules, but the image is an .iso and the only external
> media is the flash disk built into the system So my first question, is it
> possible to convert the iso to an image that can be written to the flash
> disk using dd (I have successfully written the debian EEE OS image this way,
> but the tools provided are too meager for my purposes). Otherwise I will
> probably buy a USB DVD burner.

Is there a specific reason why you're using eebuntu as I've been using
Ubuntu Netbook Remix karmic on my eee 701 and it's been working great?

> Secondly, I am seriously looking at buying a USB modem from one of the
> telecom providers here. There will probably be no linux support, and I don't
> speak french or Arabic so I will have a hard time debugging any install
> issues. My experience from running similar devices via OSX in Australia was
> that the OS communicated with the device via PPP. Do folks think that is
> what I am likely to encounter - I realise each country will have it's own
> quirks but I'm hoping people can reassure me that its a pretty standard
> hardware/software profile internationally. (The thing I'm looking at is a
> USB stick with a SIM card stuck in it if that helps).
>
> Again, sorry for such general questions. I know I could probably find better
> lists for these issues and certainly something colser to 'home' but as
> mentioned above I am a bit limited in my net access right now. and I'm
> already a subscriber to GLLUG.

Sorry for not being much more help

Harry Rickards - harry at linux.com
Debian Lenny server | Debian Sid desktop | UNR Karmic netbook
A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a
one-way street. - Doug Linder
Binary is as easy as 01, 10, 11.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk