[Gllug] MS grumbles (was: take a lookat my photos on Facebook)

Benjamin Goodacre roger at rabbit.name
Mon Nov 9 12:40:03 UTC 2009

Windows 7 in the seventh version of NT, the OS that Windows is now based
on. Win 95, 98 and ME were not based on NT.

NT 5 = Win 2000

NT 6 = XP

Never used Vista but I am guessing it is NT 6.5

NT 7 = "Windows 7"

---

How do they get to 7? The only way I can arrive at 7 is to forget 95, 98
and ME

But then were talking ancient history.

I've heard storys of Windows needing to be defraged once a month, that
are appently running a File System that does not need to be defragged
(NTFS) and needing 4 windows boxes to do the job 1 Unix box could do
before. While this does not degrade the reliability (ie the number
usally quoted with a multiple number of 9s) it does make a big dent in
the (usable) uptime....

Also the big selling point with Windows always was that you need less or
even no sys admins that the comparative Unix system, The problem being
is that while it works without them its does not work quite as well as
it would with more and those will cost you more....

Peter.