[Gllug] Firewalls suddenly blocking port 80? But how? And how can I check with no web access which device?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Sat Nov 14 21:49:20 UTC 2009

Overnight whilst switched off something sinister happened. We lost http
access on starting up again at 2pm. Email is fine, DNS is allowing
pinging of say www.bbc.co.uk, and strangely an https:// page that had
been open of Firefox is responding fine. This is on all computers in the
house.

Config is a Dynamode ADSL router, going to an IPCop box, and that in
turn connects to a switch. IPCop is out of the box with passwording,
Dynamode has just had the password changed but otherwise out of the box,
been fine for 2 years or more.

1. How can someone with *very little* command line skill find out which
box is blocking port 80 if indeed port 80 is being blocked f rom command
line access as root to the IPCop box?

2. How can I open up port 80 on IPCop if it has become closed? Where do
I look?

3. If it is the Dynamode's firewall that is blocking how can I find that
out from the IPCop box or another computer?

Anyone got an instruction booklet or a web page they could email me the
text of for a Dynamode R-ADSL-C4-2, the booklet has disappeared amidst
structural repair building works :-( so I can't reset it or access it as
don't remember settings after all this time.

I'm completely stumped on this one ... like totally ... and need some
spoonfeeding quick or daughter #1 isn't going to get her homework done
for Monday :-(( and I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms. Like a lot of
disabled people I have come to rely inordinately on web access to occupy
my life in the absence of more active pursuits :-<

Many thanks
Malcolm

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite
world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding, Economist.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk