[Gllug] wicd manager

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 02:01:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009, lucypeters at mail.com wrote:

> traceroute -n
> 80.87.128.36
>
> traceroute to
> 80.87.128.36 (80.87.128.36), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
>
>  1  192.168.0.1  0.356
> ms  0.340 ms  0.315 ms
>
>  2  10.219.60.1  16.922
> ms  16.954 ms  16.862 ms
>
>  3  81.100.0.61  16.702
> ms * *
>
> 11  80.87.128.36
> 52.065 ms  44.928 ms  35.390 ms

Excellent, this shows your wifi router working and doing NAT.

> > How long did you give it? Your laptop would need to forget its eth0
> > config, and decide to go back to wireless, after which it would need
> > to re-dhcp eth1 and pick up and IP (possibly the same one) and
> > def.gw automatically to get going again.
> >
> > Did it work immediately on plugging the network cable back in to the
> > wifi router?
>
> The wicd manager immediately trying to connect my wireless connection
> after I unplugged the cable from the laptop.

Maybe it needed a bit of time?

> > When you unplugged the network cable, and let wicd do its stuff,
> > could you ping 192.168.0.1 over the wireless link ? This was the
> > part that you had working last time. If you can ping that but the
> > Internet connection isn't working (traceroute -n 80.87.128.36), then
> > we have to assume some weird MAC address complaining from your cable
> > router. If you can no longer ping 192.168.0.1, then we've somehow
> > regressed from what you had working at the start of this thread.
>
> after I unplugged the cable from the laptop
>
> connect: Network is
> unreachable

Right.  This worked fine before, something has changed.  So far the only
(remaining) changes from when we started this thread, is to hardwire the
network settings in to the wan config on the wifi router.

What other changes exist in the configuration on your wifi router and
laptop?

We should be able to go back to the laptop being able to ping the wifi
router, only this time it should also be able reach the Internet.

As we now know the wifi router is safely attached to your cable Internet
connection, you can safely faff around with the wifi attached device,
maybe reboot XP (if trying that), restart wicd etc.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk