[Gllug] MS grumbles (was: take a lookat my photos on Facebook)

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Fri Nov 6 12:33:54 UTC 2009

On 6 Nov 2009, at 09:46, JLMS wrote:

> People failed to realize back then that the most important asset in a
> computing system was the data and failed to protect it properly  (to a
> great extent it still isn't done today, Ubuntu is doing some
> interesting work on that regard by providing a transparently encrypted
> folder in your home directory by default).

Back then, for PCs, security was the responsibility of the application
itself and not the operating system.  If you had to protect any data,
the vendor responsible for the software had to DIY and not rely on the
underlying operating system (i.e. MS-DOS) to do it.  Anything that
protected the OS was through third party vendors (although I am having
trouble thinking of anything that sat on top of DOS and "protected" it).

Regards,

Martyn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk