[Gllug] MS grumbles (was: take a lookat my photos on Facebook)

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 6 10:07:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 23:56:58 +0000 Dan Kolb <gllug at eco.li> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 06:48:05PM +0000, Christopher Currie wrote:
> > Someone wrote that Bill G decided against passwords in about 1989.
> > No, presumably in 1980-1, when he bought what became MS-DOS. With
> > the 8-bit OSs I was used to, I was *astonished* to discover, when I
> > started having to use MS- DOS, that it had no passwords.
>
> Yes, it's just shocking that a single-user, single-tasking OS,
> designed for a standalone computer didn't think that passwords were
> necessary.
>
> Dan

That's fine. Its a good attitude to take to selling a cheap product that
doesn't do very much. What's shocking is that this remains the core of
a multi-user, networked computer.

There are reasons for using a Windows computer, and I have one in my
home network. But it remains that Windows is, at core, flawed, because
it's based on the model of a single-user, standalone computer. Unix, on
the other hand, was multi-user from the start,

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk