[Gllug] Windows 7

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 23 23:53:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Shannon Carver
<shannon.carver at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting story about your company and the SuSE install which everyone
> loved... I often wonder one thing though.  When a company adopts the cheaper
> (i.e free) alternative does that alter the perceived value of software and
> the amount they're willing to spend in future??  For example would the
> realisation that the saving of (x hundred machines with + £500 worth of MS
> licenses on each) mean they'd be less likely to allow for expenditure on
> products that are worth their cost (debatedly) like the Adobe Suite or
> commercial (supported) RDBMS software, MS Visual Studio etc.
> It'd annoy me greatly if a company went open source and saved a stack in
> cash, only to reduce IT/Tech budgets and bitch when things actually do cost
> money.  After all, I'd rather work for a company who wastes good money on
> licensing and useless software than one who's stingy and doesn't allow for
> any expenditure at all (no matter how much its needed).

Use Windows application servers or virtualized desktops for those
occasions in which you really need an application in particular.

Specialized applications very often require  few concurrent licenses,
you don't need them all in all the desktops at the same time.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk