[Gllug] Windows 7

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 21:53:28 UTC 2009

Interesting story about your company and the SuSE install which everyone
loved... I often wonder one thing though.  When a company adopts the cheaper
(i.e free) alternative does that alter the perceived value of software and
the amount they're willing to spend in future??  For example would the
realisation that the saving of (x hundred machines with + £500 worth of MS
licenses on each) mean they'd be less likely to allow for expenditure on
products that are worth their cost (debatedly) like the Adobe Suite or
commercial (supported) RDBMS software, MS Visual Studio etc.

It'd annoy me greatly if a company went open source and saved a stack in
cash, only to reduce IT/Tech budgets and bitch when things actually do cost
money.  After all, I'd rather work for a company who wastes good money on
licensing and useless software than one who's stingy and doesn't allow for
any expenditure at all (no matter how much its needed).