[Gllug] ebook readers for technical books

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Thu Nov 5 12:11:34 UTC 2009

Simon Morris wrote:

> I have a Sony PRS-505 reader.. I use it mainly for technical books (see
> my question below) and it's usable but not flawless.
>
> PDF books are rendered fairly well, but if your document is diagram or
> screenshot heavy then you find that the flow of the book becomes a
> little confusing when it has to do a page break for the diagram.
>
> These are annoyances rather than show stoppers though. The Sony reader
> handles PDFs natively (as opposed to the older Kindle readers) as well
> as txt files.

Thanks - that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for

Can it cope with password protected PDF's - or ones with watermark
backgrounds?

I've got a few like this from Apress and Safari.

And how does it cope with displaying an A4 PDF on a 6 inch screen?

> Calibre [0] handles synchronisation nicely.

I've played with this before - but I seem to be hit by a debian bug
right now

> Here's a related question.. I would *love* to buy ebooks from the
> Internet to read on my Sony but as far as I can see you need either
> Windows or Mac software to do so, certainly from Waterstones.

Searching for PHP ebooks on waterstones returns precisely one result!

I'd happily buy ebooks if I could...

Especially now Safari books has "upgraded" to a foul flash interface -
and I've canceled my account.

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk