[Gllug] Wanted - small (20, 30, 40gb) ide disks for kids' computers

Dan Rogers danthegeekman at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 16 10:10:17 UTC 2009

I've used small drives a lot.  They are great for OS and applications only.
Keeping your data on a separate drive makes rebuilds and OS
experimentation/cock-ups nice and simple.  Plus no-one wants the bloody
things.  A couple of issues with small drives though:

1 - Older tech, means watch out for slower spindle speeds and smaller cache.
2 - Older drives, watch out for bad sectors.  I recently binned a drive as
it had 51 MB's of bad sectors.  It was only 20 GB in size.

I'm setting up a Xen server running on a 40 GB drive.  With all the
VM's/data on a seperate drive.

Dan