[Gllug] Wanted - small (20, 30,

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Mon Nov 16 10:53:21 UTC 2009

On Mon 16 Nov, Dan Rogers wrote:

> 1 - Older tech, means watch out for slower spindle speeds and smaller cache.

   Does not always matter, nothing will help me to type faster

> 2 - Older drives, watch out for bad sectors.  I recently binned a drive as
> it had 51 MB's of bad sectors.  It was only 20 GB in size.

   I use fdisk or cfdisk to configure old drives as a single large
partition, then reformat using mke2fs -c -c /dev/... to Write+Read test
them, but it may also be worth using dd to copy all zeroes over the first
few sectors to blank them first.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk