[Gllug] umbrella company recommendations

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 28 08:21:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Oliver Howe <ojhowe at gmail.com> wrote:

> My wife has just landed her first contracting job - 230 per day for 12
> months in London.
> Can anyone recommend a good umbrella company?
> Or just as importantly, which ones to avoid?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oliver

Your wife should get in touch with people in Business Link (
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk ), they offer practical advice mostly
free of charge and offer sessions regarding accounting, cash flow,
business planning, etc. where you actually network with people outside
your industry or field of expertise. You have to endure the "life
coaching" in some sessions but the point is that you find people that
can work with you in the future (I found website design oportunities
as well as my accountant there) or that give you fresh ideas about how
you go about your own business.

They will not recommend specific providers in general (they do for web
design funnily enough) but will tell you what to check about them.

Another source of information for contractors is the British Library,
they have a business advice section, I have not used them, but
recently got info about what they provide and it looks quite
impressive.

My wife contracted for several years, she found a local accountancy
firm that offered services for contractors, they registered her
company, VAT, and filled all necessary papers with Companies House and
Inland Revenue.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk