[Gllug] SFP (was: Re: Ethernet switch recommendation)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Nov 29 18:07:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 04:55:18PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> 2009/11/29 Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org>:
> >
> > Another question: A number of these mid-range switches come with SFP
> > fibre ports.  Are these useful?
>
> I don't use SFTP ports for computer host connections.
> Say you want to extend an ethernet between two buildings, or a long
> distance within one building. You would use 2xSFPs plus a fibre
> connection for that - multimode finre for a shortish range connection
> and single mode fibre for a long range connection.
> I manage a clustered filesystem which requires a private ethernet
> network to communicate between the hosts - and the hosts are placed in
> two locations. the SFPs links come into their own here.

Thanks John - maybe if I need networking in my shed then :-)

I seem to have settled on this 3Com managed switch
(3Com Baseline 2916-SFP):

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?pathtype=purchase&tab=features&sku=3CBLSG16

It's actually discontinued now, but still available for around 150 inc
VAT.  The HP Procurve switches are another 60-100 pounds, and I'm sure
they are better, but they are starting to exceed my budget.

Has anyone used this or a similar 3Com switch and have any good or bad
experiences to share?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones