[Gllug] Why we still like CRTs

Thu Nov 19 16:13:22 UTC 2009

John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> I wonder sometimes how these myths get started.  The one which gets
> me is the one which you see often repeated - even by official bodies
> who ought to know better - that a telly on standby still consumes
> 75-80% of the power it does when it's on.

I understand this was true on the earliest electrical equipment in the
60's and '70s that maintained a high draw to keep warm components warm.

> measuring it with my current LCD telly. It consumes (IIRC) about 30W
> in use, and too little for my meter to detect it when on standby.

>From what I gather, standby draw of TVs tends to be around 0.5-2.5W.
There was one movement championing a regulation restricting it to 1W,
and they seemed to be doing it more to have some legislation on the
subject than to effect any change from the manufacturers, so I assume
everyone's about there by now anyway.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)