[Gllug] Wanted - small (20, 30, 40gb) ide disks for kids' computers

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 19 22:48:04 UTC 2009

2009/11/19 Walter Stanish <walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com>:

> I agree that in my experience net booting, for all the up front
> configuration that may be required, is such a brilliant way to deploy
> systems.
>
> Complete control, no maintenance issues, lower hardware costs....
> total win!
>
> More people should try this.

PXE installs are how you install Beowulf clusters. You really, really
do not want to go about with 500 CD-ROMs and a monitor on a trolley.

The main art is in gathering the MAC addresses so you know which
system is where in the rack. Techniques range from sequencing the
power on one after the other and using a script with tcpdump to
capture the next appearing DHCP request, to recognising a known USB
device plugged in. On SGI kit the blades are in known positions in the
IRUs (individualt rack units) so the power is sequenced on in a known
order and they automagically add themselves.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk