[Gllug] Wanted - small (20, 30, 40gb) ide disks for kids' computers

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue Nov 17 16:31:36 UTC 2009

M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 07:22 +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
>
>> Why specifically small drives?  BIOS problems/limitations?
>>

> Not that I know of, just for the purpose they are put to - playing Club
> Penguin and so forth - 40gb is quite ample size to dual boot seeing as
> all files are stowed on the house fileserver via nfs or samba! I'm
> trying not to be greedy and to use up otherwise useless size machinery
> to get its ecological value out of it. But if 160gb is all that is
> available then... !!

Hi Malcom,

I have a 10Gb and an 80Gb drive you can have, I'm based on Stamford Hill
in Stoke Newington. If that's too far out your way you can send me the
postage (say a fiver) and I'll parcel post it over to you. Contact me
off list if you want my particulars :)

I think the previous commenter was right about more modern drives giving
far better performance for less power though. If you want to minimize
energy footprint and speed/capactity is not a big issue you might be
better off getting 2.5" to 3.5" adapters and using old notebook drives
where you can. Also, short stroking them may not save much energy but it
will make them perform better is you don't need the whole capacity.

Regards,

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk