[Gllug] Why we still like CRTs

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 14:54:50 UTC 2009

2009/11/19 Chris Bell <chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org>:
> On Thu 19 Nov, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:02:00 +0000
>> Peter Childs <peterachilds at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Good Points for CRT's
>> >

>> I know someone who found that when they upgraded all their CRTs to LCDs
>> they had to bump up the heating in the building because it was
>> noticeably cooler in the winter.
>> I don't know whether this is a good or a bad thing.
>>
>   Just the back light normally consumes more power than a CRT, although
> that is starting to change with the new LED screens. If you needed to turn
> up the heating that was probably due to a different reason. I have been told
> that most LCD failures are due to a failure of the power supply, and if that
> is external then it is easily replaced.

I have come to the belief that is a MYTH

CRT.

1.8Amps 240Volts, Gets very hot, I have a few in the office which I
could fry and egg on.

LCD

1.05Amps 240Volts AC, Power Supply gets slightly warm, but moniter it
self stays cool.

Hence even reading the label and back of the envelope calculation says
they use about 200Watts less energy. and quite a bit is lost in the
transformer. This one says 12Volt 2.5Amp DC which basically says it
would run for a while off a Car Battery in theory, which I doult is
true of a CRT.

Oh and a large amount of the 260 watts they do use is lost in the
transformer, (like 230 watts loss in a transformer?)

I have never seen any facts behind the myth only numbers I have seen
say that the inverse is true.

Peter.
PS If you can prove it please do.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk