[Gllug] Why we still like CRTs

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Thu Nov 19 14:31:28 UTC 2009

On Thu 19 Nov, Avi Greenbury wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:02:00 +0000
> Peter Childs <peterachilds at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Good Points for CRT's
> >

> I know someone who found that when they upgraded all their CRTs to LCDs
> they had to bump up the heating in the building because it was
> noticeably cooler in the winter.
> I don't know whether this is a good or a bad thing.

   Just the back light normally consumes more power than a CRT, although
that is starting to change with the new LED screens. If you needed to turn
up the heating that was probably due to a different reason. I have been told
that most LCD failures are due to a failure of the power supply, and if that
is external then it is easily replaced.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk