[Gllug] EEE issues

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Tue Nov 17 10:34:57 UTC 2009

Your also need to use usb_modem_switch as most dongals appear as a CDROM
when first connected and change afterwards, this is to allow automagic
installion of drivers for windows systems and a headache for everyone
else...

Here are the files for my very manual system I use.

modprobe.conf

options usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003

[root at bast sbin]# more usb_modem_startup
#!/bin/sh

/sbin/rmmod option
/sbin/rmmod usbserial
sleep 1
/sbin/usb_modeswitch
sleep 10
/sbin/modprobe usbserial
[root at bast sbin]#

[root at bast sbin]# more /etc/wvdial.conf
[Dialer Defaults]
New PPPD = yes
Dial Command = ATDT
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
ISDN = 0
Baud = 115200
Username = user
Password = pass
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = AT&F E1 V1 X1 &D2 &C1 S0=0

[Dialer hspa]
Phone = *99***1#
Stupid Mode = 1
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","general.t-mobile.uk"

[Dialer myPIN]
Init4 = AT+CPIN=1234
[root at bast sbin]#

/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf changes...

# Huawei E220 (aka "Vodafone EasyBox II", aka "T-Mobile wnw Box Micro")
# Huawei E270
# Huawei E870
# and probably most other Huawei devices (just adapt product ID)
#
# Two options: 1. removal of "usb-storage"  2. the special control
# message found by Miroslav Bobovsky
#
# Contributor: Hans Kurent, Denis Sutter

DefaultVendor=  0x12d1;
DefaultProduct= 0x1003

# choose one of these:
;DetachStorageOnly=1
HuaweiMode=1

I run

usb_modem_statup
wvdial hdpa

to get me online.

For txting I use gnokii and gammu, gnokii is graphical however is a bit
crashtastic and cannot read SMS with the current version I have, gammu is
hard work and command line.. but does everything!

If you can't find a version of usb_modemswitch that works for you I still
have the source for it lying arround.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk