[Gllug] Spontaneous shutdown of laptop

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Nov 8 14:15:46 UTC 2009

On 6 Nov 2009, Benjamin Goodacre uttered the following:

> Can you try either using a CPU stress tool or doing the compile on
> batteries? I have used http://freshmeat.net/projects/stress/  in the
> past for general HW testing. If you can x compiles in a row with no
> problems or run the stress test for a multiple of time that the compile
> would take then I would suggest that it your problem.

That's not quite as ideal as it would be: you have no proof that the
compiler isn't spitting out rubbish, or something different every
time. GCC bootstrap-and-test cycles are the thing (using make -j
$NUM_CPUS or higher). The machine that can survive those with no
comparison failures, with the same set of test failures every time and
without mysterious crashes, lockups, or MCEs, is a machine with no
serious hardware problems. :)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk