[Gllug] Wanted - small (20, 30, 40gb) ide disks for kids' computers

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Nov 19 22:38:54 UTC 2009

On 19 Nov 2009, Matthew King spake thusly:
> I recall, vaguely, a problem some time ago where a server was delivered
> by HP with a set of Windows installation CDs which couldn't run the hard
> drive. I don't recall why, probably SATA when it was new. The drivers
> were shipped on a floppy disc, which I dutifully tried to insert at the
> appropriate time, only to discover that the machine didn't come with a
> floppy drive and didn't even have a connector on the motherboard for one.

Hang on, they *shipped* it like this? They shipped a machine with no
floppy drive and drivers on floppy? Someone was seriously asleep at the
switch there.

> I can't remember how we got the system up and running in the end but I

Complaining to HP would have been a good start! (Or transferring the
floppy to CD on another machine, perhaps.)

> Remind me why I do this job again.

The fascinating people!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk