[Gllug] Wanted - small (20, 30, 40gb) ide disks for kids' computers

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Fri Nov 20 06:42:07 UTC 2009

Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:

> On 19 Nov 2009, Matthew King spake thusly:
>> I recall, vaguely, a problem some time ago where a server was delivered
>> by HP with a set of Windows installation CDs which couldn't run the hard
>> drive. I don't recall why, probably SATA when it was new. The drivers
>> were shipped on a floppy disc, which I dutifully tried to insert at the
>> appropriate time, only to discover that the machine didn't come with a
>> floppy drive and didn't even have a connector on the motherboard for one.
>
> Hang on, they *shipped* it like this? They shipped a machine with no
> floppy drive and drivers on floppy? Someone was seriously asleep at the
> switch there.

So memory tells me. If not precisely that, it was something equally
nonsensical.

>> I can't remember how we got the system up and running in the end but I
>
> Complaining to HP would have been a good start! (Or transferring the
> floppy to CD on another machine, perhaps.)

I believe we slipstreamed the drivers into a new CD in the end. Much fun
was had there, too, with licenses etc.

It was late on a Friday. The last person I wanted to speak to was
anybody from HP. By the time that fire was over we were on to fighting
the next one so no time in the aftermath.

Small company syndrome. Too busy fixing things to get anything fixed.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk