[Gllug] FreeNX vs VNC?

Harry Rickards harry at linux.com
Tue Oct 27 14:59:52 UTC 2009

2009/10/27 KJS <lists at netzensolutions.com>:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a number of users logging in over VNC and leaving hanging desktop
> sessions which is using up loads of memory (some users are running a
> couple of VNC sessions...).
>
> Which is running X & Gnome etc for each user and causing the server to
> swap out !
>
> I am wondering if I switch to FreeNX would this over come the problem? I
> remember reading that FreeNX shared memory with other process that used
> the same application (like MS TS does).
>
> I wondered if this was the case? As I can't find any info to back it up
> on their website.
>
> Or if anyone has any other solutions... it's that or I banish VNC :)
>
> TIA
>
> KJS

I might be misunderstanding you but are you saying that users are
disconnecting from sessions without logging off first which leaves the
session running on the server? And that MS TS fixes this? Because
Citrix has this problem (at least Citrix Presentation Server/Citrix
Metaframe Server does) and I was under the impression that they
heavily shared the same codebase.

In any case you could try something like
http://ubutrix.blogspot.com/2009/09/shells-auto-logoff-of-idle-users.html
but I'm not sure if it would work with X.
Harry Rickards - harry at linux.com
Debian Lenny server | Debian Sid desktop | UNR Karmic netbook
A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a
one-way street. - Doug Linder
Binary is as easy as 01, 10, 11.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk