[Gllug] FreeNX vs VNC?

KJS lists at netzensolutions.com
Tue Oct 27 15:22:21 UTC 2009

> I might be misunderstanding you but are you saying that users are
> disconnecting from sessions without logging off first which leaves the
> session running on the server? And that MS TS fixes this? Because
> Citrix has this problem (at least Citrix Presentation Server/Citrix
> Metaframe Server does) and I was under the impression that they
> heavily shared the same codebase.

Nope, not saying that, I am saying that instead of loading duplicate
copies of programs into memory it shares them with the rest of the users
on the system.

I am not concerned with them leaving their sessions hanging I am trying
to find a way to cut down on memory usage. But I don't see how in Unix
land as each user is going to have it's own X session and all it's
processes are going to be owned by the user, so I don't think it's going
to be possible. But I remember reading NX server did something magic to
reduce memory usage...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk