[Gllug] Samba - Add Active Directory User to UNIX Group?

KJS lists at netzensolutions.com
Sat Oct 10 10:16:08 UTC 2009

>> Would mapping a Linux group with samba to an AD group work?
>>

> Generally yes, but not necessary.
>
> Unless the group is a system group (eg root or mail) then it would
> be better to have groups in Active Directory (option 1 above).
>

> It might be a good idea to say if the group is a system group or
> one you have created, and why you want to store it in /etc/group
> instead of Active Directory.

The group was created before the server was setup to auth from the
Active Directory server, and it is a group I have created not a system
group, it is so users can access a dir to run some bespoke software. So
perhaps I will try to add the user to /etc/group and see if that
works... I would move it to AD but I feel that might cause further
problems with GID's etc?

TIA

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk