[Gllug] Samba - Add Active Directory User to UNIX Group?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 19:25:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 12:25:27PM +0100, KJS wrote:
<snip>

You have two options:

1) Add the groups to Active Directory - either as posix groups, or
if Windows Small Business Server can not do that then try the using
an AD group and changing the way libnss-ldap looks for LDAP groups
in /etc/ldap.conf.

See previous emails for more details.

2) If the group has to be local to only this one Linux server, then
add the usernames to /etc/group manually using 'vipw -g' (aka vigr).

See previous emails for more details.

> How will AD be aware of the groups on the Linux server in /etc/group ?

If the groups are only used on the Linux server (eg in /etc/group,
option 2 above) then group membership of users is handled by Linux,
and Active Directory does not need to be aware of them.

> I need to add a Active Director user to a Linux group. Is this possible?

Yes.

> Would mapping a Linux group with samba to an AD group work?

Generally yes, but not necessary.

Unless the group is a system group (eg root or mail) then it would
be better to have groups in Active Directory (option 1 above).

It might be a good idea to say if the group is a system group or
one you have created, and why you want to store it in /etc/group
instead of Active Directory.