[Gllug] emulating a pendrive

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Oct 13 21:13:57 UTC 2009

On 13 Oct 2009, Peter Corlett stated:
> Firewire is peer-to-peer, and allows anything to plug into anything
> else, software willing.

It also (like USB) allows anything to DMA to anything else, even if the
OS is *not* willing.

So, yes, customized USB keys can be an unblockable security hole. It's
so easy with firewire that debugging a machine after the OS has died
over a firewire connection has direct support in kgdb.

> USB has separate host and device, operated in a master-slave
> relationship. Hosts cannot directly talk to hosts, and devices cannot
> talk to devices.

But devices can DMA over your hosts' memory :)

> This is also why both ends of a Firewire cable are identical, whereas
> USB has distinct ends.

After the Big Upgrade earlier this year, all my non-embedded machines
now have firewire ports, but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen
anything that can plug into them. Everything seems to be USB.

What's firewire actually used for?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk