[Gllug] Firefox

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Wed Oct 28 08:46:28 UTC 2009

> Vaguely related is that fact that Firefox is entirely single
> user. It simply isn't set up to allow you to run multiple
> instances concurrently (apparently the idea of a shared
> home directory is alien to the Firefox developers).

I'm sure you can run as many copies as you want using
command line parameters and config files.  Unfortunately
no time to check at the mo' (no Linux firefox handy). OTOH
if it's not possible I would be hiiiiiiighly surprised and
you would have made a good point.  Anyone care to check
this one out?

On a related note, as a quick hack to support a shared home
between mutually distinct boxes, try remounting your
/mnt/nfs/shared-home/.mozilla (or whatever the preferences
dir is called) with tmpfs (or similar), then copy in any
config you wish to use.  You can even edit the SQLite DBs
by writing a little tool in any SQLite-supporting language.
Works a treat!  (I actually remount the whole shared home,
but that's more to support one large read-only nfs mount
of my diskless images.  A custom script performs a
series of remounts early in system startup...)

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk