[Gllug] Firefox

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Oct 27 23:39:11 UTC 2009

--------

Nix writes:

>FF doesn't really do 'minimal' amounts of state. IIRC Ted Ts'o
>benchmarking it writing about 500Kb to the disk with each link
>followed. (Blame sqlite and the 'awesome bar').

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that. I'm still
astounded at that level of incompetence, though.

>> - Horribly broken when trying to run it on a remote X server.
>
>Welcome to the Brave New World of megaroundtrips where everyone is
>assumed to have at least a gigabit connection path between client and
>server :((((( GNOME and KDE are hardly good here either.

Actually, it's not just round trips that are the problem. Half of
the problem is getting the thing to run at all in the first place.
My major gripe: Oh, you're already running a Firefox instance on
that X server, so I'll just open a new tab/window on that rather
than running Firefox on the remote box and displaying it on your
X server like you asked me to. Vaguely related is that fact that
Firefox is entirely single user. It simply isn't set up to allow
you to run multiple instances concurrently (apparently the idea
of a shared home directory is alien to the Firefox developers).

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk