[Gllug] Temperature monitoring hardware

Mon Oct 26 16:52:38 UTC 2009

I'm after a thermometer to monitor the temperature in the cupboard I've
put a pc/server in, and let me present the current and historical data
in a graph, potentially with alerts if it goes too high.

Basically, what I really want is the raw data ("right now it's x
degrees C"), and to write my own monitoring and logging scripts.

I've had a bit of a look around, and I can't find anything at the usual
suspects (rs, maplin), though ebay's got a lot of usb-key lookalikes
that might well do the job, but with no word on Linux compatibility.

I did find an instructables walkthrough[0] on building one, but small
component soldering _really_ isn't my forte. And I don't know where to
start on the board.

Are these commonly available? Am I just looking in the wrong place? Or
is this the excuse to buy an arduino that I've been half-heartedly
looking for for a while?

Cheapness is more important than accuracy, really, I don't particularly
need anything better than accuracy to within about a degree Celsius.

[0]
http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-IndoorOutdoor-Thermometer-or-My-first-USB-/
--
Avi Greenbury